Sumary of A man hospitalized with mysterious seizures was diagnosed with tapeworms that had been living in his brain for decades:
- Doctors who treated a man hospitalized with seizures, disorientation, and strange behavior said tapeworms had been living in his brain for years undetected, according to a case study published Thursday in The New England Journal of Medicine.
- He was hospitalized, and doctors treated him for a seizure, noting that he was unresponsive to questions and seemed to be involuntarily gazing at the ceiling.
- The medical team at Massachusetts General Hospital eventually provided a diagnosis of cysticercosis, otherwise known as a tapeworm infection, which was confirmed via brain scans and blood testing.
- Tapeworm infections can go undetected for years and can travel to the brain, causing seizuresTwo decades earlier, the patient had emigrated from a rural area in Guatemala, where parasite-related illness is endemic, according to the case study.
- Parasites from eating undercooked and unsanitary meat or fish can be passed from person to person if people with infections don’t wash their hands after using the bathroom.
- Symptoms of infection include digestive upset, weight loss , and abdominal pain.
- But the parasite doesn’t necessarily stay in your digestive system.
- “In one 2020 case study, a woman complained of a sore throat, and doctors found an inch-long parasitic roundworm in her tonsil, most likely caused by sashimi she ate five days earlier.