Sumary of Abuse And Misuse Of This Nasal Decongestant Could Be Fatal, FDA Warns:
- [+] relief of congestion due to colds, allergies and allergic rhinitis) and recreationally for its psychostimulant effects..
- getty Abuse and misuse of the over-the-counter (OTC) nasal decongestant propylhexedrine could lead to serious heart-related complications and adverse psychiatric events that may result in hospitalization, disability, or death, the FDA warned in a recent press release..
- Reported adverse effects include rapid or irregular heart rhythms, elevated blood pressure, agitation and paranoia..
- poison control center calls was linked to multiple life threatening adverse effects, with nearly 3% of cases requiring ICU admission..
- Review of an additional 60 cases found that 23 persons experienced adverse effects or hospitalization, 9 of whom later died..
- The most commonly reported adverse effects were rapid heart rate (tachycardia), agitation, elevated blood pressure, chest pain, tremor, hallucinations, delusions, psychosis, confusion, nausea and vomiting..
- Heart attacks, hyperthermia, stroke, bowel obstruction, pulmonary hypertension and seizures have also been reported….