Sumary of Adherence to asthma biologic therapy higher than inhaled corticosteroids:
- In a new study, adherence to asthma biologic therapy was higher than adherence to inhaled corticosteroids among adults with asthma..
- Researchers reported that adherence to asthma biologics was weakly associated with prior adherence to inhaled corticosteroids..
- “Very little is known about adherence to asthma biologics and how adherence may influence asthma outcomes,”.
- “There is reason to suspect that adherence to asthma biologics may be different than for inhaled corticosteroids, because biologics are administered with injections given every 2 to 8 weeks and are often administered under direct supervision in a health care setting as compared with inhaled corticosteroids, which are daily self-administered medications that require attention to inhaled technique.”.
- Researchers analyzed data from the OptumLabs Data Warehouse to identify 5,319 individuals with asthma (61.4% women) who started asthma biologic therapy from 2012 to October 2019..
- Researchers calculated proportion days covered for inhaled corticosteroids plus long-acting beta agonists 6 months before and after starting asthma biologics as well as proportion days covered for asthma biologic for the first 6 months of use..
- During the 6-month period after starting asthma biologics, researchers identified factors associated with asthma biologic and inhaled corticosteroid proportion days covered of at least 0.75 and assessed achievement of an at least 50% asthma exacerbation reduction during the first 6 months using asthma biologics..
- The mean proportion days covered was higher during the first 6 months after starting a biologic was 0.76 (95% CI, 0.75-0.77), which was higher compared with mean proportion days covered for inhaled corticosteroids during the 6 months before (0.44;.
- Researchers observed an association between inhaled corticosteroid proportion days covered of at least 0.75 for inhaled corticosteroids 6 months before index asthma biologic use and asthma biologic proportion days covered of at least 0.75 (OR = 1.25;.
- 95% CI, 0.97-1.36) and the researchers reported a significant reduction in asthma exacerbations in the first 6 months using asthma biologics among those with any exacerbation 6 months before use…