Sumary of Africa: G7 Summit – Rich Governments’ Support of Big Pharma Monopolies ‘Could Kill Millions of People’:
- Ahead of the G7 Leaders’ Summit, the People’s Vaccine Alliance (PVA) warned that G7 promises to vaccinate the world by 2022 will be impossible to fulfil if governments continue blocking proposals to waive patents and share life-saving technology..
- If current trends continue, it will take the world’s poorest countries until 2078 to vaccinate their populations..
- By the end of May 2021, 42% of people in G7 countries had received at least one vaccine dose, compared to less than 1% in low-income countries..
- Of the G7 nations, only the US has explicitly supported waiving patents for vaccines -although Japan has said it will not oppose the moves if they are agreed..
- Germany and the UK continue to vehemently oppose the plan, despite its potential to massively increase vaccine production and save millions of lives, while Canada, Italy and France remain on the fence..
- “The English county of Cornwall, where the G7 Summit takes place, has administered more vaccinations than 22 African countries combined..
- This is just one example of how the failure to fight pharma monopolies has created staggering inequalities in vaccine access..
- There will be no end in sight until rich countries stop hoarding vaccines, stop supporting pharma monopolies, and start facing up to their international obligations.”…