Sumary of Anti-arrhythmic effects of SGLT2 inhibitors may be an alias for improving heart failure:
- September 11, 2021 3 min read Source/Disclosures Published by: Source: Wiviott SB.
- Disclosures: Wiviott receiv research grants from Amgen, AstraZeneca, Eisai, Merck Pfizer;
- The TIMI study group received research grants from Abbott, Amgen, Anthos, AstraZeneca, Daiichi-Sankyo, Eisai, Intarcia, MedImmune, Merck, Novartis, Pfizer, Regeneron, Roche, The Medicines Company and Zora Biosciences.
- ADD TOPIC TO EMAIL ALERTS Receive an email when new articles are posted on Please provide your email address to receive an email when new articles are posted on .
- Wiviott “The pathophysiology that may causally link diabetes with atrial arrhythmias is not fully known, but has several potential mechanisms, and that includes structural changes in the heart;
- “SGLT2 inhibitors have been shown to affect several of the things that seem to be related to diabetes and atrial fibrillation: lowering blood pressure, reducing weight and having some beneficial effects on left ventricular remodeling.
- ” As Healio previously reported, the DECLARE-TIMI 58 trial found that dapagliflozin (Farxiga, AstraZeneca) for patients with diabetes led to a 17% lower risk for the coprimary composite efficacy endpoint of CV death or hospitalization, compared with placebo.
- It was also observed that dapagliflozin lowered the risk for renal specific outcomes in DECLARE-TIMI 58 (HR = 0.53;