Sumary of Any CPAP use in obstructive sleep apnea reduces cardiovascular disease incidence:
- Patients with moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea and no use of continuous positive airway pressure had higher rates of cardiovascular disease than patients who did use continuous positive airway pressure for any length of time..
- The researchers also found that obstructive sleep apnea with CPAP use correlated with lower rates of cardiovascular disease compared with no CPAP use..
- Adobe Stock “Our study contributes to understanding the role of CPAP therapy for cardiovascular risk prevention,”.
- According to Mazzotti and colleagues, current research supports the benefit of CPAP therapy for cardiometabolic risk among adults with obstructive sleep apnea in the short term, but the “sustained effect”.
- The researchers examined the relationship between CPAP use and cardiovascular disease rates among patients in the Kaiser Permanente Southern California health system..
- The study included adult patients in the health system who had data on the apnea-hypopnea index available between January 2018 and February 2020..
- At baseline, eligible participants had a year or more of continuous insurance coverage that also allowed gaps for less than 90 days and were free of cardiovascular disease for 1 year before the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea..
- They defined cardiovascular disease rates as the first incident of myocardial infarction, stroke, unstable angina, heart failure or cardiovascular death according to validated electronic health record algorithms….