Sumary of Assisted Living Centers Can Do More for Dementia Patients, Experts Say:
- Assisted living facilities often have activities to keep seniors socially engaged — but a new study says they need to ensure that residents with dementia are not left out..
- They found that a few factors stood out as key to keeping residents with dementia socially and mentally engaged day to day..
- Basic care and safety are always essential, said lead researcher Candace Kemp, a professor at Georgia State University’s Gerontology Institute..
- In one example from the study, a staff member said, “When Emily’s about to get really fretful about something, she’ll sit there biting her nails..
- The communities in the study regularly offered arts and crafts, live music, games, religious services and chances for residents to exercise, talk or watch movies..
- The association has laid out recommendations for assisted living residences and nursing homes on how to achieve “person-centered”…