Sumary of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine linked to ‘very small’ increased risk of bleeding, study says:
- While the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine is not yet authorized for use in the U.S., an independent committee advising vaccinations in the U.K..
- Researchers also found an incidence of 1.13 cases per 100,000 of so-called idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), or a blood disorder involving an abnormal drop in the number of platelets, per Hopkins Medicine..
- researchers noted ITP during AstraZeneca’s post-vaccination period for 40–49-year-olds 0.62 more events than expected per 100,000 doses, and in the adults under study, there were 0.46 more events than expected per 100,000 doses..
- Researchers noted three deaths post-ITP, though not due to ITP, and the deaths occurred in both vaccinated and unvaccinated people over age 70..
- “First dose of ChAdOx1 was found to be associated with small increased risks of ITP, with suggestive evidence of an increased risk of arterial thromboembolic and hemorrhagic events….