Sumary of AstraZeneca vaccine: Australian authorities order urgent review after rare blood clot link:
- Australian health authorities will hold urgent, high-level talks about the AstraZeneca vaccine on Thursday, following a UK recommendation that people aged under 30 should be offered a different jab..
- The federal government has demanded Australia immunisation advisory group and drug regulator – which met on Wednesday about the issue – immediately consider the latest vaccination findings from Europe and the UK..
- Their advice will then be provided to the Commonwealth and Australia expert medical panel and discussed with leaders in national cabinet on Friday..
- The nation chief medical officer, Paul Kelly, said people safety and the health advice remained their top priorities..
- News Corp Australia Prof Kelly said European drug regulator has highlighted women under the age of 60 being at higher risk of side effects but did not make any further recommendations..
- Prof Kelly said any developments regarding vaccine side effects, even if they were extremely rare, affected confidence in the vaccine..
- Depending on the advice from Australian authorities, Prof Kelly said authorities would be looking to release communication to reassure people that the AstraZeneca jab was effective and safe…