Sumary of AstraZeneca vaccine: what now for rollout in the UK and Europe?:
- Importantly, neither agency could identify specific risk factors – such as sex or age – from their data, and therefore did not recommend any specific measures, such as age restrictions..
- This means that despite the regulatory agencies themselves not suggesting them, age restrictions are now being applied in many countries..
- However, as the amount of circulating virus rises, the risk-benefit balance tips in favour of taking the vaccine, regardless of how old you are..
- If this decision had been made in January, while the second wave was still in full swing, it likely that this recommended age restriction wouldn’t have been suggested..
- Many, though, had already introduced quite significant precautionary restrictions on the vaccine while waiting for the EMA assessment, limiting its use strictly to older groups..
- Nacho Gallego/EPA-EFE Given the EMA view that no age restrictions are needed, it might have been expected that these age restrictions would now be loosened to widen potential vaccine coverage….