Sumary of Beetroot juice may boost health via changes in oral bacteria:
- A new study in older people suggests that drinking beetroot juice, which is rich in inorganic nitrate, promotes the growth of oral bacteria that are associated with these benefits..
- Nitrite is a precursor for nitric oxide, a signaling molecule that dilates blood vessels and transmits messages between neurons in the brain..
- In older people, reduced availability of nitric oxide may contribute to hypertension (high blood pressure) and a decline in cognitive function..
- A new study suggests that drinking beetroot juice, which is rich in inorganic nitrate, can alter the balance of bacteria in the mouth in favor of species that promote better cognitive and cardiovascular health..
- The findings of this study help explain the proven benefits of beetroot juice for lowering blood pressure in people with hypertension..
- While they asked both groups to drink 140 milliliters of beetroot juice per day for 10 days, the experimental group drank a nitrate-rich juice, while the control group drank a nitrate-depleted juice..
- Compared with the placebo condition, subjects who drank ordinary beetroot juice had larger numbers of oral bacteria associated with good vascular and cognitive health..
- On average, the participants’ systolic blood pressure fell by 5 millimeters of mercury after 10 days of drinking nitrate-rich beetroot juice..
- The researchers used a statistical technique to identify two distinct clusters of bacterial species that flourished in the participants’ mouths when they drank regular beetroot juice…