Sumary of ‘Beginning to fail’: Tesco, Asda & Sainsbury’s shoppers complain of ‘empty shelves’:
- The British Retail Consortium – the trade associations for all UK retailers – is urging shoppers not to panic buy and has said that supermarkets are working closely with supplies to keep stocked shelves.
- British Meat Processors Association chief executive Nick Allen told BBC Radio 4’s Today Programme: “It’s happening already.
- “We’re starting to see that at retail level and in restaurants – everyone is struggling to get things out really.
- ”Andrew Opie, director of food and sustainability at the British Retail Consortium explained that the number of people being told to self-isolate has “exacerbated” the existing problem of the lack of lorry drivers.
- Mr Opie said: “Retailers are aware of a fall in HGV driver numbers, resulting in minor disruption to some supply chains.