Sumary of Can food choices influence cancer risk?:
- Researchers have predicted that cancer will become the leading cause of death in every country in the world by the end of this century, making cancer prevention a top priority in the healthcare field..
- Although many factors can influence a person risk of developing cancer, research shows that environmental causes, including dietary choices, can also affect cancer risk..
- In the early 1960s, researchers discovered that cancer rates varied between countries and identified that specific dietary patterns have correlations with certain types of cancer..
- They also discovered that cancer rates in people from countries with a low cancer risk who migrated to countries with higher cancer risk matched or exceeded the cancer rates in the country they migrated to..
- Since then, researchers have narrowed down the specific foods and dietary patterns that may increase the risk of certain cancers..
- This article will focus primarily on food, yet it is important to remember that alcohol intake is also a known dietary risk factor for cancer development..
- Research into diet and cancer risk is ongoing, and researchers still have much to learn about how and why food choices affect cancer risk..
- Red and processed meats In 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), part of the World Health Organization (WHO), classified processed meat as carcinogenic and unprocessed red meat as “probably”…