Sumary of Children with child protection concerns are more likely to die before they their 16th birthday:
- Children with documented child protection concerns are four times as likely to die before they reach their 16th birthday, according to confronting new research from the University of South Australia..
- The world first study identifies the extreme seriousness of familial child abuse and neglect, measuring for the first time the excess risk of death that children with documented child protection concerns face..
- Child abuse and neglect are prominent worldwide public health concerns affecting 20-50 per cent of children worldwide..
- While all children encountering the child protection system were at increased risk, boys with child protection concerns were more than four times as likely to die before the age of 16 than boys with no documented child protection concerns;.
- The study found that children with the most serious child protection concerns those who had ever been placed in our-of-home care were five times as likely to die before their 16th birthday than children with no child protective system contact..
- The association between child maltreatment and death has generally been studied through detailed case reviews and coroners’ inquests which, while identifying the shocking impact of familial child abuse and neglect, has not been studied at the population level until now.”.
- “Drawing on more than 30 years of data, our study found that children with documented child protection concerns are at considerably higher risk of premature death before their 16th birthday..
- In nearly 30 years of data and 1635 child deaths, child maltreatment was coded as a contributing cause in just two children’s deaths….