Sumary of Clear need for sensitive diagnostic markers for pancreatic cancer surveillance:
- The diagnostic yield of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma was substantial in high-risk mutation carrier but non-existent in mutation-negative proven familial pancreatic cancer kindreds..
- Overbeek, MD, from the department of gastroenterology and hepatology and the Erasmus MC Cancer Institute, Erasmus University Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, and colleagues wrote..
- Overbeek and colleagues enrolled asymptomatic patients with an estimated 10% or greater lifetime risk for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma..
- They identified 366 patients, 201 with mutation-negative familial pancreatic cancer kindreds and 165 pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) susceptibility gene mutation carriers..
- In mutation carriers, cumulative PDAC incidence was 9.3% and 0% in the familial pancreatic cancer kindreds (P <…