Sumary of Combination of two oral drugs boosted survival rates for leukemia patients from 83% to 96%:
- A novel combination of two oral drugs can help leukemia patients survive and recover from their disease, a new study shows..
- The team, from the team from the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, says further research into drugs like the combination tested in this trial will make it easier for leukemia patients to beat their disease and live healthy lives..
- Leukemia and other blood cancers cause about one in ten cancer deaths in the U.S., but the survival rate for this disease has greatly improved in recent decades thanks to research and new treatments..
- Adults may have CLL developing in their bodies for years without knowing they have it and the survival rate is higher than other forms of leukemia, about 83 percent..
- Doctors rely on certain genetic markers – abnormalities in a person’s DNA – to identify chronic leukemia patients..
- There are several drugs approved for chronic lymphocytic leukemia treatment, including three Bruton tyrosine kinase inhibitors – which stop the blood cells involved in leukemia from multiplying out of control..
- But two of these drugs may work better when administered together, according to the study, which was published JAMA Oncology..
- After previous research showed that the combination of ibrutinib and venetoclax (two existing leukemia drugs) worked well in a lab setting, they took this treatment to patients….