Sumary of Decreased TJR scrub nurse hand-offs may maximize OR efficiency, reduce costs:
- Intraoperative scrub nurse hand-offs during total hip and knee arthroplasty cases performed at a major, urban academic center were associated with increased OR times of as much as 18 minutes, based on results of a retrospective study..
- Hickernell, MD, who presented the findings at the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons Annual Meeting, said, “There a lot of implications from this in terms of cost and patient outcomes..
- From a chart review of 1,109 total knee arthroplasty patients and 1,032 total hip arthroplasty patients operated on from 2014 to 2018 by arthroplasty fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons, Hickernell and colleagues collected the number of scrub nurse hand-offs, patient demographics, surgeon information and operative times..
- The only confounder in terms of patient demographics researchers identified concerning scrub nurse hand-offs was an American Society of Anesthesiologists score of 3.8 to 4 among THA patients..
- Regarding OR times, “Essentially almost every group, every variable, with just one scrub nurse hand-off saw associated increases in OR times,”…