Sumary of Everything you need to know about cluster headaches:
- “Those who have these so-called primary headache syndromes can have frequent, severe, and debilitating headaches that adversely impact quality of life.
- The most common headache that falls into this category is migraine,” he explains.
- According to the doctor, people are more familiar with migraine than cluster headaches because “migraine is much more prevalent”.
- “One characteristic feature of migraine headache is it often affects one side of the head.
- Cluster headache, another common primary headache, shares this feature with migraine.
- While both are unilateral, cluster headache is side-locked, meaning it involves the same side in each attack, whereas migraine headache can shift sides,” says Dr Narayanan.
- Signs and symptoms of cluster headaches A cluster headache strikes quickly, usually without warning, although you may first have migraine-like nausea.
- (Photo: Getty/Thinkstock) Cluster headaches versus migraine The doctor says unlike migraine, cluster headache is significantly more common in men than women.