Sumary of Fauci to Rand Paul: ‘If anybody is lying here, Senator, it is you’:
- Paul accused Fauci of misrepresenting, in earlier testimony, the nature of U.S. government funding of the Wuhan Institute of Virology in China, where some believe the virus originated as the result of a lab experiment gone awry.
- “I have not lied before the Congress,” the veteran government immunologist responded.
- (Stefani Reynolds/AFP/Pool via via Getty Images)As evidence of his allegation, Paul cited a scientific research paper into bat viruses by a Wuhan researcher.
- At a hearing in June 2020, Paul challenged Fauci on school closures, although Fauci had said he supported reopening schools for in-person instruction, provided proper preventive measures like mask wearing were taken.
- (Stefani Reynolds/The New York Times/Pool via AP)Several weeks later, Paul confronted Fauci with the issue at the heart of Tuesday’s exchange: whether the NIH inadvertently funded gain-of-function research at the Wuhan lab that has been at the center of scrutiny over the origin of the pandemic.