Sumary of Forget me not: Novel target shows promise in treating Alzheimer’s and related dementias:
- “Our work provides evidence that cis P-tau may be a pathogenic factor that explains VaD, which is not generally linked to other dementias,”.
- However, treating these mice with the cis P-tau mAb prevented neural degradation and cognitive decline out to six months..
- Accumulation of cis P-tau caused dramatic changes in the genetic architecture of affected cells in a VaD model;.
- The researchers went on to show that treatment with the cis P-tau mAb reversed 85% to 90 % of those changes suggesting the power of this potential therapy..
- “They provide robust evidence that there is accumulation of a specific form of the tau protein — cis P-tau — that highlights a different tau protein pathology in VaD research.”.
- While the researchers delineated a pathway that leads to the accumulation of cis P-tau, the underlying linkage between vascular abnormalities and activation of the pathway needs to be identified…