Sumary of ‘Heart-in-a-Box’ Can Be Lifesaver From Distant Donors:
- By Sarah Collins HealthDay Reporter THURSDAY, April 8, 2021 (HealthDay News) — A few days after his 74th birthday, Don Stivers received his dream gift — a new heart..
- Continued From that point forward, he had implantable cardioverter defibrillators in his chest to help his heartbeat stay on track..
- And then because of his size [he is 6 foot, 4 inches tall], it becomes even fewer the number of organs that he can take.”.
- TransMedics’ Organ Care System, nicknamed Heart-in-a-Box, allows organs to live outside of bodies for a longer period of time, meaning hospitals can scout a larger geographic radius for possible donors..
- Food and Drug Administration, the organ is connected to a portable device that mimics how it would act within the human body..
- Cedars-Sinai had taken part in some early Heart-in-a-Box trials within the hospital’s normal geographic bounds…