Sumary of IDSA, ASM outline role of SARS-CoV-2 sequencing in clinical settings:
- November 15, 2021 2 min read Source/Disclosures Published by: Disclosures: Greninger reports having a relationship with Abbott Molecular and has received funding from Gilead Sciences and Merck outside of the submitted work.
- Please see the review for all other authors’ relevant financial disclosures.
- ” Photo source: Adobe stock They said allele-specific RT-qPCR has “emerged as a potential solution for identifying SARS-CoV-2 variants with potential therapeutic implications,” because of its fast turnaround time and the ability to focus on mutational hotspots.
- Whole-genome sequencing allows clinicians to determine the full nucleotide sequence, either for the whole viral genome or for a specific region that contains most of the “known medically relevant mutation sites.
- Lee, MD, an associate professor of internal medicine at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas and a co-author of the review, said in a press release.