Sumary of India’s Karnataka State Retracts COVID Relief to Muslim Clerics After Hindu Organisation Objects:
- The decision was made after a prominent Hindu organisation – Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP) or Universal Hindu Council – linked to the state’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), objected to the decision..
- The VHP was opposed to the idea of using funds drawn from donations to Hindu temples to give financial assistance to non-Hindus..
- The financial help for Muslim and Hindu priests had been announced by Karnataka State Chief and BJP leader Bookanakere Siddalingappa Yediyurappa under the Muzrai (Hindu religious endowment department) Department..
- “The money received from Hindu temples should be spent on the temples and the welfare of the Hindu community,”.
- Congress party, which is the main opposition party in Karnataka state, criticised the government for being swayed by the objections of Sangh Parivar, a group of Hindu-inclined organisations including VHP, Bajrang Dal and Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS)….