Sumary of Intelligence officers predict a future shaped by faceless enemies like disease, climate change:
- The National Intelligence Council, in a report released Thursday, suggested that regardless of how humanity confronts ongoing challenges, some of the biggest threats will not be caused or instigated by human perpetrators..
- These global challenges will likely include “climate change, disease, financial crises, and technology disruptions,”.
- One of the major examples of that threat is the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the authors write, which they describe as the most disruptive global event since World War II..
- (Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images) The pandemic has “shaken long-held assumptions about resilience and adaptation and created new uncertainties about the economy, governance, geopolitics, and technology,”.
- “National security will require not only defending against armies and arsenals but also withstanding and adapting to these shared global challenges.”.
- However, China has already demonstrated success in technical innovation, partly due to aggressive intellectual property theft and partly through a broad mobilizing of its society in ways not possible in a democratic country…