Sumary of Intermittent auscultation may reduce risk for emergency cesarean delivery:
- Other fetal surveillance types had a lower risk for emergency cesarean delivery and did not have an increased risk for adverse neonatal or maternal outcomes, a meta-analysis found..
- Al Wattar, PhD, of Warwick Medical School in the U.K., told Healio Primary Care that although cardiotocography “offers more information continuously on the fetal heart rate”.
- Al Wattar and colleagues assessed the effectiveness of different types of fetal surveillance — including intermittent auscultation with Pinard stethoscope/handheld Doppler;.
- and cardiotocography with fetal scalp lactate, fetal scalp pH analysis, fetal pulse oximetry and fetal heart electrocardiogram;.
- The researchers also found a risk ratio of 1.21 (95% CI, 1.04-1.42) for computer-aided cardiotocography with fetal scalp blood pH sampling….