Sumary of Is my headache serious? 7 red flag symptoms:
- “Each individual case needs to be considered, and any doubts should be addressed with formal medical advice.”.
- Most primary headaches, especially those caused by tension, can be treated with over-the-counter medication including ibuprofen and paracetamol, says Turner, who points out that alternative therapies, including acupuncture and massage therapy, may also help tension headaches..
- The Migraine Trust says migraine attacks can last anything from four to 72 hours and have a wide variety of symptoms, often including a severe throbbing headache which is usually, but not always, on one side of the head..
- Most patients with migraine would prefer to go and lie down in a dark and quiet room and avoid physical activity.”.
- A third of patients with migraine have symptoms suggestive of stroke such as flashing lights, zig-zag lines, blurred vision, pins and needles and weakness in the arms or legs that last less than an hour and come on gradually, explains Ahmed..
- If the headache is coupled with neck stiffness or a fever, Turner warns these are possible features of meningitis and require urgent medical attention….