Sumary of Kenya: Nyanza, Western Counties Brace for the Worst of Covid-19 Wave:
- The bloc secretariat has proposed rapid testing of suspected cases to isolate the sick from the healthy population..
- The counties have hired Dr Shem Otoyi to analyse infection data to project different scenarios of the spread of the disease, to help in preparing for multiple possible outcomes..
- The 14 Lake Region Economic Bloc (LREB) member counties include Siaya, Busia, Bomet, Kericho, Kisumu, Homa bay, Kisii, Nyamira and Vihiga..
- The fresh Covid-19 wave has hit the lake region counties hard, with some facing admission bed shortages as well as lack of oxygen and Intensive Care Units (ICUs) to handle a growing number of critically ill patients..
- Dr Rosemary Obara, the head of the health pillar at the LREB, says the bloc is auditing data on available admission beds, health practitioners, ambulances, hospitals and oxygen cylinders to help in the fight against Covid-19..
- “We have a forum comprising all the Health CECs and other county officials, where this information is being shared..
- Dr Obara says that already, Trans Nzoia and Siaya counties have offered extra oxygen that may help other counties from the region whose facilities are overstretched due to a surge in the number of new infections in the area..
- The highly infectious Indian variant of Covid-19 was first reported in Kisumu, and is suspected to be spreading in the community….