Sumary of List Of Naturally Occurring Toxins In Food And How To Reduce Them:
- According to the WHO, microscopic algae which are found in oceans and lakes also contain natural toxins, which are not harmful to aquatic creatures like fish that consume them, but could be harmful to humans upon consumption of those fish-containing toxins in a large amount..
- This is because, in plants, the toxins are produced as a natural defence system against predators, microorganisms and insects, and in other organisms like fish, toxic substances act as their food..
- Aquatic biotoxins Aquatic biotoxins or marine biotoxins are mainly phytoplankton or harmful algae found in oceans..
- Shellfish such as oysters and mussels contain aquatic toxins as they feed on algae, and in some cases, the algal toxins are not eliminated even after cooking or freezing..
-  Aquatic biotoxins cause symptoms such as vomiting, paralysis, diarrhoea and other gastrointestinal problems..
- Though they are a great source of fibre, proteins and vitamin B and are known to lower the risk of diabetes and heart diseases, they are toxic and inflammatory and resistant to cooking and digestive enzymes..
-  Lectins are responsible for causing coeliac disease, rheumatoid arthritis and certain autoimmune diseases and problems related to small intestines..
- Eating these fish in large amounts can increase the risk of toxicity and cause conditions related to the central nervous system, lungs and kidneys….