Sumary of Many Heart Disease Patients Keep Smoking, Despite Knowing Risks:
- WEDNESDAY, June 9, 2021 — Smoking cigarettes or using other tobacco products increases heart risks, but that doesn’t stop some Americans with a history of heart problems, new research finds..
- Many continue to smoke after having a heart attack, heart failure or stroke even though they are aware of the risk..
- That was true even though 96% of participants said they were aware that smoking could cause heart disease, according to findings published June 9 in the Journal of the American Heart Association..
- “In the United States, heart disease is the leading cause of death, resulting in more than 365,000 deaths in 2018,”.
- said Dr. Rose Marie Robertson, co-director of the American Heart Association’s Tobacco Center of Regulatory Science, which provided support for the study..
- She noted that research clearly shows that quitting smoking can help prevent heart disease, even among people who have had it before..
- For the study, the researchers reviewed survey responses from a large nationwide health study to compare rates of tobacco use over time..
- Participation in formal smoking cessation programs dwindled from 10% of respondents during the survey’s second wave to about 2% by its end…