Sumary of Music listening near bedtime disruptive to sleep:
- Scullin’s recent study, published in Psychological Science, investigated the relationship between music listening and sleep, focusing on a rarely-explored mechanism:.
- People who experience earworms regularly at night — one or more times per week — are six times as likely to have poor sleep quality compared to people who rarely experience earworms..
- Surprisingly, the study found that some instrumental music is more likely to lead to earworms and disrupt sleep quality than lyrical music..
- In the experimental study, 50 participants were brought into Scullin’s Sleep Neuroscience and Cognition Laboratory at Baylor, where the research team attempted to induce earworms to determine how it affected sleep quality..
- Polysomnography — a comprehensive test and the gold standard measurement for sleep — was used to record the participants’ brain waves, heart rate, breathing and more while they slept..
- “We randomly assigned participants to listen to the original versions of those songs or the de-lyricized instrumental versions of the songs..
- People who caught an earworm had greater difficulty falling asleep, more nighttime awakenings, and spent more time in light stages of sleep.”.
- Additionally, EEG readings — records of electrical activity in the brain — from the experimental study were quantitatively analyzed to examine physiological markers of sleep-dependent memory consolidation….