Sumary of New 3D printing process helps build tailor-make artificial body parts, other medical devices:
- For example, the method could be adapted to create a highly-bespoke one-piece prosthetic limb or joint to replace a lost finger or leg that can fit the patient perfectly to improve their comfort and the prosthetic’s durability;.
- How it works For this study, the researchers applied a computer algorithm to design and manufacture – pixel by pixel – 3D-printed objects made up of two polymer materials of differing stiffness that also prevent the build-up of bacterial biofilm..
- By optimising the stiffness in this way, they successfully achieved custom-shaped and -sized parts that offer the required flexibility and strength..
- Related Stories Current artificial finger joint replacements, for example, use both silicone and metal parts that offer the wearer a standardised level of dexterity, while still being rigid enough to implant into bone..
- However, as a demonstrator for the study, the team were able to 3D-print a finger joint offering these dual requirements in one device, while also being able to customise its size and strength to meet individual patient requirements….