Sumary of New Links Between Poor Sleep, Diabetes and Death:
- WEDNESDAY, June 9, 2021 — A combination of poor sleep and diabetes significantly increases a person’s risk of early death, a new study finds..
- The analysis of data from nearly 500,000 middle-aged adults in the United Kingdom showed that compared to other folks, the risk of death from any cause over nearly nine years was 87% higher among those with diabetes and frequent sleep disturbances..
- The researchers, from Northwestern University in Chicago and the University of Surrey in the United Kingdom, published their findings in the June 8 issue of the Journal of Sleep Research..
- “If you don’t have diabetes, your sleep disturbances are still associated with an increased risk of dying, but it’s higher for those with diabetes,”.
- Knutson said one question — “Do you have trouble falling asleep at night or do you wake up in the middle of the night?”.
- — can help people tackle sleep disturbances earlier in life and possibly reduce this increased risk of death..
- The strong link between poor sleep and poor health was already known, but this study “illustrates the problem starkly,”…