Sumary of Nigeria: Averting Covid-19 Third Wave:
- The federal government recently warned Nigerians against travelling to countries currently experiencing the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic..
- To demonstrate its seriousness, the federal government declared 90 travellers who recently visited or arrived from India, Brazil and Turkey as potential health hazards..
- Mustapha further stated that health officials would not accept COVID-19 PCR test results older than 72 hours upon passengers’ arrival in Nigeria..
- Apart from the named travellers who flouted the country’s COVID-19 protocols, many Nigerians now hardly put on face masks or maintain social distancing..
- However, the number of deaths and infections in the last few weeks across the country is enough reminder that the pandemic is still very much potent..
- As at the time of going to press, the country had recorded about 170,000 infections and 2,200 deaths across 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT)..
- Since the third wave of the pandemic started, India had recorded 2.24 million new COVID-19 cases with 16,257 deaths in the first seven days..
- Health experts in the country believed mass religious gatherings and political rallies were the major factors that led to this major health disaster….