Sumary of Nigeria: Embrace Technology, Experts Tell Nigerian Doctors:
- Folasade Ogunsola has said that healthcare professionals, particularly, medical doctors need to embrace Information and Communication, Technology, ICT, to deliver topnotch services and maintain leadership role in the sector..
- Making this assertion during a 3-day Leadership Retreat of the Lagos State branch of the Nigerian Medical Association, NMA, tagged:.
- Leadership, Opportunities and Threats”, Ogunsola charged Nigerian doctors to up their game by embracing technology, even as she said most doctors are notoriously resistant to change..
- Ogunsola, a Consultant Clinical Microbiologist, said ICT has changed the role of the doctor in terms of the doctor-patient relationship as well as the doctor and other healthcare worker- relationships..
- She said any medical professional in the 21st Century who does not think technology is already irrelevant, notng that technology has democratised knowledge and no knowledge exclusively belongs to doctors..
- “For doctors to keep that supremacy role, our knowledge base has to go up, our skills and competencies must rise because our leadership role is going to come from what we know..
- The First Lady of Lagos State, Dr. Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu, noted that the challenge doctors must constantly take into cognisant and address is how to take optimal advantage of technology to improve service delivery in medical practice..
- “We must embrace technology which requires total overhaul of our system and serious management to ensure proficiency in the system…