Sumary of PrEP Is Now Required to Be Free Under Most Insurance Plans:
- Many people will soon be able to get pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for free through their health insurance plans.
- The medication, which can significantly help prevent HIV, is notoriously expensive, and getting a prescription requires a patient to undergo frequent lab work as well.
- PrEP, also available under the brand names Truvada and Descovy, is a type of oral medication that can help people prevent HIV infections due to unprotected sex and/or injected drug use, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explain.
- People who are currently HIV negative can take PrEP daily to reduce their risk of getting the infection.
- Making PrEP free will undoubtedly make it more accessible to people who need it but couldn’t otherwise afford it—even with insurance.