Sumary of ‘Serious concerns’ over India travel ban:
- The Human Rights Commission has lashed the federal government for threatening to jail or fine Aussies returning from India..
- From Monday, people who have been in India within the previous fortnight before their intended arrival in Australia will face a $66,600 fine, as well as five years imprisonment for entering the country..
- The government has staunchly defended the tough move saying it was necessary to protect Australia public health and the quarantine systems, as India records more than 300,000 new COVID-19 cases a day..
- “The commission holds deep concerns about these extraordinary new restrictions on Australians returning to Australia from India,”.
- “The government must show that these measures are not discriminatory and the only suitable way of dealing with the threat to public health..
- Treasurer Josh Frydenberg on Saturday rejected the suggestion the government was abandoning around 9000 Australians in India….