Sumary of Statins side effects: Five symptoms of a skeletal muscle side effect caused by drug:
- Statins are effective at lowering cholesterol and protecting against a heart attack and stroke, although they may lead to side effects for some people..
- The risk of very serious side effects is extremely low and calculated in a few cases per million people taking statins..
- Rhabdomyolysis can occur when you take statins in combination with certain drugs or if you take a high dose of statins..
- Rhabdomyolysis or milder forms of muscle inflammation from statins can be diagnosed with a blood test measuring levels of the enzyme creatinine kinase..
- The risks of any statin side effects also have to be balanced against the benefits of preventing serious problems..
- A review of scientific studies into the effectiveness of statins found around one in every 50 people who take the medicine for five years will avoid a serious event, such as a heart attack or stroke, as a result..
- The Yellow Card Scheme also allows you to report suspected side effects from any type of medicine you’re taking…