Sumary of Study lays out challenges of achieving equity in communication for diverse patients at hospital discharge:
- A new study by research, quality improvement and health equity experts at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) in The American Journal of Managed Care lays out the challenges of achieving equity for diverse patients in communication at hospital discharge.
- Esteban Barreto, PhD, lead author of the paper, says the researchers conducted the study to gather a more rich and nuanced view of patient perspectives than can be found in standard quality improvement surveys.
- ” Esteban Barreto, PhD, Lead Author Related StoriesMany of these issues became more urgent during the pandemic–the data from this survey helped to put new innovations in place to support patients with better information, technology access and communication support during hospitalization and discharge.
- Betancourt, MD, MPH, Senior Vice President, Equity and Community Health, notes: “MGH has been working on improving quality, addressing disparities, and achieving equity for over 20 years, and has made a lot of progress.
- Lawrence Center for Quality and Safety at MGH, the study involved researchers and operational leaders from multiple areas including Equity and Community Health, General Internal Medicine, Interpreter Services, and the Disparities Solution Center, with research leadership provided from the Mongan Institute.