Sumary of Tanzania: Samia Lays Accent On Maternal, Child Health:
- PRESIDENT Samia Suluhu Hassan yesterday laid emphasis on the improvement of maternal and newborn health, saying the country has made huge progress in curbing maternal mortality and morbidity..
- President Samia tasked the Minister for Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children, Dr Dorothy Gwajima to address concerns over health facilities demanding payments for delivery, vaccination, neonatal and antenatal services..
- The Head of State issued the directive during her meeting with thousands of women from across the country in the capital city, Dodoma, yesterday..
- “I am aware of the challenges relating to health facilities demanding charges for delivery, vaccination, neonatal and antenatal services,”.
- the President said, while directing Dr Gwajima to address the matter as per the governing laws and regulations..
- According to President Samia, current statistics show that 80 per cent of babies are being born in health facilities, whereas the number of under-five children who are vaccinated now stands at 98 per cent..
- “Over the years, the government has heightened efforts by ensuring health services are brought to a close proximity to the people through constructing infrastructures such as hospitals and health centres across the country,”.
- Maternal mortality rate has equally been reduced from 500 deaths to 321 for every 100,000 lives, noted President Samia….