Sumary of Tattoo made of gold nanoparticles revolutionizes medical diagnostics:
- The idea of implantable sensors that continuously transmit information on vital values and concentrations of substances or drugs in the body has fascinated physicians and scientists for a long time..
- Scientists at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU) have developed a novel type of implantable sensor which can be operated in the body for several months..
- The sensor is based on color-stable gold nanoparticles that are modified with receptors for specific molecules..
- Professor Carsten Soennichsen’s research group at JGU has been using gold nanoparticles as sensors to detect tiny amounts of proteins in microscopic flow cells for many years..
- By binding to specific receptors on the surface of the gold nanoparticles, they induce color change that is dependent on drug concentration..
- Thanks to the color-stable gold nanoparticles and the tissue-integrating hydrogel, the sensor was found to remain mechanically and optically stable over several months….