Sumary of TEE can detect left atrial thrombus in patients with AF undergoing procedures:
- Kirchhof reports he received research support from several drug and device companies active in AF and is listed as inventor on two patents held by the University of Birmingham..
- The prevalence of left atrial thrombus is high in certain anticoagulated patients with atrial fibrillation, which suggests a role for transesophageal echocardiogram imaging before procedures in that population, researchers reported..
- Adobe Stock In the meta-analysis population, the mean-weighted LA thrombus prevalence of 2.73% (95% CI, 1.95-3.8)..
- According to the researchers, exclusion of studies of fewer than 150 patients modestly reduced the prevalence of LA thrombus to 2.4% (95% CI, 1.68-3.42;.
- There was no difference in LA thrombus prevalence between patients treated with vitamin K antagonists and those treated with direct oral anticoagulants (vitamin K antagonist group, 2.8%;.
- LA thrombus prevalence was higher in patients with nonparoxysmal AF or atrial flutter compared with those with paroxysmal AF or atrial flutter (4.81%;.
- Lurie and colleagues found that patients with CHA2DS2-VASc scores of at least 3 had greater LA thrombus prevalence compared with patients who had scores of 2 or less (higher score, 6.31%;…