Sumary of The U.S. will be a ‘formidable competitor’ to China in Covid vaccine diplomacy, professor says:
- Workers unload boxes containing the Sinopharm Covid-19 vaccine, donated by China, at the Damascus International Airport on April 24, 2021, in the Syrian capital..
- China has been a major Covid vaccine supplier to much of the developing world, an effort that some experts said could bolster Beijing’s global influence and deepen its ties with other nations..
- is now catching up, with the White House laying out plans to donate millions of Covid vaccine doses overseas and it appears President Joe Biden intends to do more..
- Yanzhong Huang, senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations, told CNBC’s “Squawk Box Asia.”.
- sending Covid vaccines to other countries, said Huang, who is also a professor at Seton Hall University’s School of Diplomacy and International Relations..
- That’s especially so when India halted vaccine exports to prioritize its domestic needs and Russia’s supply overseas remains very limited, he explained..
- will buy 500 million more doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine to share with COVAX, a global vaccine-sharing initiative..
- CNBC also reported on Wednesday that the administration is negotiating with Moderna to secure additional vaccine doses to supply to the world….