Sumary of Tom Daley opens up about disordered eating habits and body image issues:
- Olympic gold medalist Tom Daley has revealed that pressure from the sports industry led him to develop a “strange relationship” with food and body image issues.
- In a new interview with The Guardian, the diver said he believes he had a mild form of an eating disorder in 2012, the same year he won a bronze medal at the London Olympics.
- ”Daley said his body image issues came from his sport, which requires divers to compete in swimming trunks.
- ”In an extract of his new book, Coming up for Air: What I Learned from Sport, Fame and Fatherhood, published in The Times, Daley recalled a conversation with a Team GB doctor in December 2011, when he was 17-years-old.
- Daley was told that his coach wanted him to “lose some weight”.
- Also in the interview, he opened up about how it was his husband, film director Dustin Lance Black’s idea for Daley to take up knitting.
- Daley made headlines at the Tokyo Olympics this year after he was spotted knitting various garments while watching the events.
- Because I’m one of those people always up doing something, Lance said some people on [TV sets], while they’re waiting between takes, will knit,” he said.