Sumary of Too Many Blood Pressure Pills—Here’s A Time When Treatments Go Too Far:
- While taking care of you and your gallbladder, the doctors noticed that your blood pressure is elevated.
- So they adjust your blood pressure medicines to bring it back down to normal.
- But if you don’t get close and careful follow-up, those blood pressure pills could do more harm than good.
- Well here’s another harmful practice: adding new hypertension medications to patients whose blood pressures jump up during hospital stays.
- But other times, patients are having good blood pressure control at home, and their blood pressures increase in the hospital merely as an artifact of their acute medical condition.
- For example, acute pain ramps up your sympathetic nervous system, causing your blood pressure to rise.
- In such a situation, receiving new blood pressure medicine increases the chance that a patient will need to be readmitted to the hospital in the 30 days after discharge, probably because their blood pressures crash once they return home.