Sumary of Too Much Caffeine Might Raise Your Odds for Glaucoma:
- New research suggests it could significantly increase your risk of glaucoma if you’re genetically predisposed to the eye disease..
- High caffeine consumption was not associated with an increased risk for elevated IOP or glaucoma overall, but in participants with the strongest genetic predisposition to elevated IOP, greater caffeine consumption was associated with higher IOP and higher glaucoma rates..
- People in the highest genetic risk score category for glaucoma who consumed more than roughly three cups of coffee a day had a 3.9-fold higher rate of glaucoma than those who consumed no or minimal caffeine and were in the lowest genetic risk score group, the findings showed..
- The study, published in the June issue of the journal Ophthalmology, is the first to show a dietary/genetic interaction in glaucoma, and suggests that people with strong family history of glaucoma should limit caffeine intake, according to the authors..
- “In this study, we show that an adverse relation between high caffeine intake and glaucoma was evident only among those with the highest genetic risk score for elevated eye pressure,”…