Sumary of Top in cardiology: Chest pain guidelines, telecardiology advances:
- Back to Healio The American Heart Association, American College of Cardiology and five other societies established new guidelines for chest pain, with focuses on informing patients, listening to women and coronary artery calcium testing.
- A review of the inaugural guidelines was the top story in cardiology last week.
- Read these and more top stories in cardiology below: Inaugural chest pain guideline offers ‘standard approach to evaluating patients’ The American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology recently released the first chest pain guideline written under their purview.
- Early surgery shows benefit vs watchful waiting for asymptomatic severe aortic stenosis In the AVATAR trial, patients with asymptomatic severe aortic stenosis and normal left ventricular function assigned early surgical aortic valvular replacement, compared with watchful waiting, had a lower incidence of death and cardiovascular outcomes.
- FDA grants priority review of empagliflozin for adults with HF, regardless of LVEF The FDA has accepted a supplemental new drug application and granted priority review of empagliflozin for the reduction of cardiovascular death and heart failure hospitalization for adults with heart failure, regardless of left ventricular ejection fraction.