Sumary of Trust in CDC, FDA Took a Beating During Pandemic:
- June 9, 2021 — Trust in the CDC and FDA has decreased dramatically during the COVID-19 pandemic among health care professionals, according to a new WebMD/Medscape poll..
- nurses surveyed on Medscape (WebMD’s sister site for health care professionals) between May 25 and June 3, 77% said their trust in the CDC has decreased since the start of the pandemic, and 51% said their trust in the FDA has decreased..
- Health care professionals have been critical of these agencies’ decisions during the pandemic, with some concerned that their work has been politicized..
- “I do (within the last 2 years) question the degree to which leaders of those institutions are able to truly implement scientifically sound and public health-centric recommendations and practices free from political influence and bias.”.
- 6/ Because of the damage done by the prior administration, the @CDCgov and @CDCDirector were put in the position to earn back the public and scientific community trust..
- In addition to a lack of trust, many health care professionals said they disagreed with the CDC’s and FDA actions on COVID-19..
- About half of both doctors and nurses said they disagreed with the FDA overall decision-making during the pandemic, compared to 36% of WebMD readers..
- Nearly 60% of doctors and 65% of nurses said they disagreed with the CDC overall pandemic guidance, while 39% of WebMD readers did….