Sumary of U.S. to Donate 500 Million Vaccine Doses Worldwide:
- June 11, 2021 — The Biden administration will buy and donate 500 million Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine doses in an effort to inoculate more of the global population..
- An initial 200 million doses will be distributed between August and the end of this year, with the remaining 300 million to come during the first half of 2022..
- The doses will be reserved for low- and middle-income countries and distributed by Covax, the WHO-backed initiative to share COVID-19 vaccines across the world..
- Previously, the Biden administration said it would share 80 million vaccine doses worldwide by the end of June, The Washington Post.reported..
- Last week, the White House provided plans for how it would allocate 25 million doses, with about 19 million going to Covax..
- Covax plans to deliver 2 billion vaccine doses by the end of the year, with the goal of inoculating 20% of the population in countries of need, the newspaper reported, though it may not meet that goal….