Sumary of Vaccine use could be restricted:
- Urgent, high-level talks are under way in Australia after the UK recommended under-30s not be given the AstraZeneca vaccine due to safety fears..
- The Health Minister says the government would be prepared to restrict the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine if Australia health authorities recommended it, after European research found a link between the jab and rare blood clots..
- Australia medical experts were forced on Thursday to review evidence about the vaccine after UK recommended people aged under 30 be offered an alternative to AstraZeneca..
- Greg Hunt was pushed on whether the decision could alter the federal government rollout plan, given AstraZeneca accounts for the bulk of vaccinations in that age group..
- Australia immunisation advisory group and drug regulator – which met on Wednesday about the issue – were on Thursday considering the latest vaccination findings about the rare blood clot events from Europe and the UK..
- Their advice will then be provided to the Australia expert medical panel, and the Commonwealth later on Thursday evening, as well as discussed with leaders in national cabinet on Friday..
- Depending on the advice from Australian authorities, Prof Kelly said authorities would be looking to release communication to reassure people that the AstraZeneca jab was effective and safe…