Sumary of Zimbabwe: National 2020 HIV/Aids Targets Achieved:
- President Mnangagwa said this yesterday while addressing a high level virtual United Nations General Assembly meeting on HIV and Aids that begun yesterday..
- The meeting was convened by the UN General Assembly president, Mr Volkan Bozkir, to take stock of the progress made in the global fight against the HIV/Aids epidemic..
- The President said the HIV/Aids epidemic had negatively impacted global economies, livelihoods of communities and individual households alike..
- He added that in the march towards ending HIV/Aids by 2030, bold ambitions and achievable global targets must be implemented with the requisite funding..
- Sign up for free AllAfrica Newsletters The President said Zimbabwe had recorded a 44 percent decline in new infections between 2010 and 2019 and expressed gratitude to development partners, the Global Fund and other stakeholders who continue to support Zimbabwe’s programmes..
- “We call for the re-doubling of efforts in the face of the Covid-19 pandemic and urge partners to continue providing sufficient funding specifically to low and middle-income countries,”.
- He expressed hope that the ambitious and bold new goals espoused by the Political Declaration that would be adopted at the end of the meeting would guide and serve as a reference in the fight against Aids…